oui oui


With an unusual schedule like mine, it is easy to turn what-should-be a fun Friday night out, into a quiet night in. Last Friday I decided to make one of my mother's specialities Vichyssoise, a delicious french potato leek soup. This being my first attempt I was a bit nervous, but I am happy to say it came out absolutely amazing. It was creamy and rich, savory and irresistible, so good that I called my mom and told her she has some major competition. I got the recipe from this beautiful french cookbook my boyfriend has, but here is my modified recipe.

Ingredients:
1 large white onion
4 stalks of celery
4-5 leeks (only the white)
4-5 potatoes
6 oz heavy cream
1 stick of butter
3-4 cans of chicken broth
salt
pepper
dill
chives

Cooking Instructions:
Finely chop onion, celery and leeks and throw it in a large pot with the stick of butter. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until melted and transparent. While the veggie mix and butter is cooking, peel and rough chop your potatoes. Throw in the potatoes and 3-4 cans of chicken stock, the less stock the thicker your soup will be. Bring everything to a boil and let simmer for about 25 minutes. Take the soup off the heat and let cool, once cooled put the soup in a blender, I did it in three batches, and blend until smooth. Put the soup back into the pot and bring it to a boil, lower the heat and add the cream, next season with salt, pepper, and dill to taste. Garnish with chives. This soup is traditionally served chilled, but since it is November I ate mine hot.ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment